Monday, September 22, 2014

What a weekend!!

OMG - what a weekend!!

Fri night Bugsy & Roger arrived and we caught up.  It had been about 2 years since we'd seen them.

While I had scheduled myself to be off work all weekend, I ended up needing to meet my clients, a home inspector, and a contractor at a home I have under contract, then meet another couple from out of state to show them a couple homes.  While I was working, Bugs & Rog and Spouse walked over to the farmers market.  When I got home at noon the 4 of us went to lunch, and then picked up a few extra items at the grocery store.

All 4 of us pitched in as we prepared for Steven's birthday dinner at our home.  Spouse and Roger made Mexican lasagna and fajitas while Bugsy and I got things set up.  There were 9 of us for dinner, and we ate on the screened porch since the weather was nice.  We had a fun time, and I can't believe I didn't take any photos of the birthday dinner.

Sun morning the 4 of us had coffee and hung out on the porch until it was time to meet Steven & Thad and Joe P for brunch.  Our 2 favorite servers were there and they made the entire restaurant sing 'Happy birthday' to Steven, which had the intended level of embarrassment.

After brunch we picked up Walter!  Spouse & Roger stayed home while Bugsy & I picked him up in a mesh carrier.  When we got home, I sat in the yard with Walter still in his carrier.  Spouse brought Marvin outside on his leash and over to where I was sitting.  Marvin wasn't exactly 'welcoming', but I'm convinced the introduction went much better than if I had brought Walter inside the house right away.  Bugsy took a couple of videos of the interaction, then edited them together to form an 8 minute video.  Since its too large to send via email, he AirDropped it onto my phone, but I don't know how to get it onto my laptop to upload.  The rest of the afternoon was spent bonding with Walter, making sure Marvin was paid attention to, and visiting with Bugsy & Roger.  
They left at 5pm and we began working on the potty training with Walter.  When both dogs were ready for an evening nap, we crated them and stopped by yet another client's home to drop off a gift, then ran to the store for puppy supplies.  When we got home, both dogs peed outside in the yard, making both daddies ecstactic!

Bedtime was a little difficult.  Marvin slid under the sheet and between my calves as usual, and Walter was placed in his soft/fuzzy bed inside his crate.  The lights went out and the wimpering and squealing began.  Spouse & I had agreed in advance that we would not talk once the lights went out, and that Walter would need to learn that lights out means time to sleep.  After about 10 minutes (which felt like 30 minutes) he fell asleep.  It could have been much worse.

Our lives have changed for sure.  Our morning and nighttime routines are far less routine, but its all worth it.  There are no words to describe the feeling you get from the love of a pet.

4 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

happy birthday to steven!

and just look at you with the new baby! hopefully marvin won't be too jealous.

mexican lasagna? do tell, spouse; share recipe?

Sean said...

So happy and excited for all of you. Congratulations.

Bob said...

Walter is adorable!

MAC said...

Sounds like a fun weekend.