Monday, October 22, 2012

Eating out

If you've been reading this blog for any amount of time, you already know that Spouse & I tend to eat out a lot.

Its not because we have a quest to try every new restaurant that opens here in the resort area we call home.  Its mostly because we're lazy and often don't feel like cooking.

If only I had a penny for every time I asked Spouse where he wants to eat and he replied "I don't care - where do you want to go".  Although this may sound like I get to pick the restaurant, that's not really true because after listing 3 or 4 different options for him, he will often say "Uuuuhhh, how about..." and then he says the name of some place I had not suggested.  In reality he's not giving me option to choose the restaurant, he just wants me to list some to jog his memory so he can then pick something else that suddenly comes to mind.

At one point when asked where I wanted to eat I simply said "I don't care - you choose.  You're just going to pick something different after I choose anyway."  He seemed stunned at first, as if he hadn't realized that's what he'd been doing.  But then he tried to turn it into a joke so I knew he understood.

So nowadays I will say something like "Oh, I really have a taste for ______" and name some place I'd like to go, and he will often follow suit.  Somehow him believing that I've been anticipating going to a particular place makes a difference to him, which is good I guess.  It shows he cares!

1 comment:

anne marie in philly said...

we do this too. spouse says "what do you want to eat"; I say "what are you in the mood for"; spouse says "(fill in the food here)".

9 times outta 10 it's the item I have been thinking of!

after 20 years...