Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Perfect timing

Last week I ordered Jesse's book "You Can Run: Gay, Glam, and Gritty Travels in South America", hoping it would arrive before our NYC trip so that:
  1. I would have something fun/interesting to read on the bus
  2. I could tell Jesse how much I loved it when I see him

However, when I checked the mailbox today, it still hadn't arrived. Bummer. So I was thinking that I should probably make a quick stop for a magazine or two this evening when I go to the ATM for cash for the trip.

But then as I was rifling through the mail, almost like magic I found:

1. the latest issue of Advocate
2. the catalog for the Rehoboth Beach Independent Film Festival

both of which made me very happy. Perfect timing! Spouse & I can both catch up on the latest and greatest of the gay, and I can read through descriptions of the films being shown at this year's festival.

What constitutes and independent film you ask?

While Hollywood films are created to make money, indie films are created to tell stories. While Hollywood films typically have big budgets and must fit into the MPAA's rating system (G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17, X), indie films usually have little-to-no budget and are unrated. While Hollywood films usually fit into comedy, drama, or action categories, indie films are typically difficult to fit into a specific genre because their stories often tackle unusual and taboo subjects.

I have been a lover of indie films for years. I get lots of indie films from Netflix, and have made a point to take off days from work to see and review the films at the RB Indie Film Festival. You can read my reviews from 2005, 2006, and 2007 here, here, here, here, and here if you're interested. Add the films you like to YOUR Netflix queue.

Crush du Jour: Stephen Dorff

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good time. I missed the film fest here in Providence past couple years. Working does that to you.

Anyhow good choice on Stephen Dorff. He still looks good and I remember when he was younger how cute he was then. Damn.

Jesse Archer said...

I appreciate your support of independent cinema, the quality and output would be much improved if everyone thought like you do!

Oh, and I hope you do like my book--if it ever does arrive ;)
xoxo